Recently my band, The Slam Daddies, played a show at The House Cafe in Dekalb, IL. I have always liked this venue and enjoyed playing there. While at the show I helped load in and set up all the equipment. After that I began to talk with the sound guys about the venue and what kind of setup they use. They use a basic setup including a 32 channel mixer with some outboard compressors and eqs. The monitor mixes are made using the sub groups and aux sends and distributed using a headphone distributer.
He let me observe as he dialed in the mixes and set up the stage microphones. It was a great experience getting to observe and participate in this show. I got to see how things were routed and mixed to compliment the room. The House Cafe is a small bar/cafe setting so there is no need for an over the top setup. They use the standard Sure SM57's on the drums and guitars. They only mic the toms, kick, snare, bass, guitar, and vocals. The cymbals are not miked because of the smaller room. They carry through the room without having to be miked. Overall this was a good experience talking with the sound guy and observing the way he works.
No comments:
Post a Comment