I've been working with this artist for awhile now at Energy Command Studios. He's a bluesy, rock type artist and has a lot of talent. We are now in the mixing stages of his songs. This song, Genevieve, has a particular feel that he wants. He wants the drums to have a John Mayer Continuum sound to it. He also wants the vocals to have some characteristics of Coldplay's Viva La Vida. The kick drum I eq'd to give it a more pillowy sound. To have it sit well with the bass guitar I dropped the mid from the bass and boosted the attack to bring out the punch. To give the drums that Continuum feel I used a lot of room sound and overheads topped with a slight plate reverb.
The electric guitars had more of a warm mid range tone so I decided to keep the overall tone and just notch out certain frequencies to place it in the mix. A little delay and reverb were added to the guitars to make it sound more like a blues club. For the vocals I used a plugin called Izotope Nectar. This is a vocal suite that has a bunch of plugins that work with each other to really give the vocals a nice sound. I dialed in a great vocal sound and moved on to the piano. The piano is a MIDI track using one of pro tool's virtual instruments. The sound being used is an electric piano with a little vibrato on it to give it a slight organ feel. It sounds great mixed into the song and really polishes the song and gives it that sound the song is going for.
No audio clip of this song is available yet as we are still in the early mixing stages. However, there is a single and an acoustic song on his myspace to give a feel of the upcoming songs.
http://www.myspace.com/joehamgeri
No comments:
Post a Comment